Tuesday, August 15, 2006

What is Nora Roberts reading?

The Christian Science Monitor recently asked Nora Roberts what she was reading (and watching and listening to).

Here's what she said:

My husband owns a bookstore. I read a lot: Patricia Gaffney, Elizabeth Berg, Dennis Lehane, Michael Connelly, Lawrence Block, Sue Grafton, Stephen King. I've just finished Terry Pratchett's Night Watch, and I'm just about to start Robert B. Parker's new book, Blue Screen. I think Terry Pratchett's kind of a cross between Monty Python and Douglas Adams. There's so much there: the humor, of course--you can laugh your way all the way through his books--and the world he's built; Discworld is so interesting and layered and hysterically funny. There's also a lot of really clever and snide political commentary.

Parker's use of language is completely different from Pratchett's, of course. He's to the point, and I like that. While good and evil have their subtle shades, they're very well defined. I know when I sit down, I'm going to be intrigued by the story. I know that I'm going to get a really good look at the characters who, especially in his series with Spencer, Jesse Stone, or the new one, Sunny Randall, you get to know over the course of time with layers peeled off. I like the fact that good will probably get a few bumps and bruises, but good is going to overcome evil at the end of the day.

Click here to see what Roberts listens to and what she watches on the big and small screens.

--Marshal Zeringue