How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?Visit Monona Wali's website.
The title Sutra Americana is meant to be intriguing and mysterious. Most western readers might not know the meaning of the word sutra (although they may have heard of the Kama Sutra, the famous manual on lovemaking from ancient India) but what the title does is signal that this is a story about two cultures coming together – in this case the Indian and the American. The book cover also reflects that with its bright blue background and Indian fabrics in the graphics, but also using the iconic red, white and blue of the American flag. Together, they invite the reader into a world they might not know but will find accessible and entertaining. Honestly, I was worried that the title would sound too foreign, but readers have responded very positively, and I never got any advice from editors or publicity people to change it. I’m so happy about...[read on]
Q&A with Monona Wali.
--Marshal Zeringue


