Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Q&A with Cat Rambo

From my Q&A with Cat Rambo, author of You Sexy Thing:
Photo Credit: On Focus Photography
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

The title first emerged as what we call a “working title,” a placeholder. It’s the name of the ship the crew steals, an intelligent ship that isn’t sure it wants to be stolen. But over the course of time, it became the title in my head. Tor marketing, my editor, and I went back and forth about that a bit -- they’d propose something that I wouldn’t like, and I’d send back my suggestions, like Ancillary Restaurant and Food Cart at the End of the Universe, neither of which flew for some reason. Finally they just told me Marketing had decided to “lean into it.” I’m still unsure what that means, but for me, it does convey the fast and funny flavor of the book.

What's in a name?

Character names (and place and technology and all names, really) for me are often...[read on]
Visit Cat Rambo's website.

Q&A with Cat Rambo.

--Marshal Zeringue