Wednesday, October 09, 2019

Five of the most badass vampires of all time

Renée Ahdieh is a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her spare time, she likes to dance salsa and collect shoes. She is passionate about all kinds of curry, rescue dogs, and college basketball. The first few years of her life were spent in a high-rise in South Korea; consequently, Ahdieh enjoys having her head in the clouds. She lives in Charlotte, North Carolina, with her husband and their tiny overlord of a dog.

Ahdieh's new novel is The Beautiful.

At Tor.com she shared her list of "the five most badass vampires in literature and pop culture." One bloodsucker on the list:
Pam Swynford de Beaufort

While I adored Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse books so much, my reference to Pam here is mostly based on the one in the TV show True Blood, where she is played by the fabulous Kristin Bauer van Straten. I lusted after Pam’s wardrobe and her makeup throughout the series, but I most loved her amazing one liners and her steadfast loyalty to her maker, Eric Northman. When this show got it right, it really got it right. It was the first show of a paranormal sort that struck me like Buffy did, because it was lighthearted and dark, and fun and disturbing all at once. Plus it married fae lore with vampire legend, and the whole things was delicious.

And who could not love a vampire like Pam whose life philosophy can be summed up in a single quote: “I don’t know what it is about me that makes people think I want to hear their problems. Maybe I smile too much. Maybe I wear too much pink. But please remember I can rip your throat out if I need to. And also know that I am not a hooker. That was a long, long time ago.”
Read about another vampire on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue