Saturday, April 05, 2014

Helen Wan's "The Partner Track," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: The Partner Track by Helen Wan.

Her entry begins:
The Partner Track is the story of an ambitious young Asian American woman competing for partnership at a high-stakes international law firm. It’s about how sex, race, class, and outsider status impact people’s lives as they climb the American corporate ladder.

Since my novel’s publication, I’ve been invited to speak at a great many Fortune 100 corporations, law firms, universities, and other places around the country, and always, during the audience Q&A, someone asks, “So when’s the movie coming out?” This leads to a fun, sometimes heated, Audience Participation Casting Game for the book, which I’m happy to summarize below (along with my own Wish List):

First, in my ideal fantasy world, the TV or film adaptation of The Partner Track would be written and produced by the amazing Shonda Rhimes. No one is better at telling authentic workplace stories with ensemble casts who actually look and talk like real people in the modern world. I love everything she touches. I’d believe anything she told me.

Ingrid: It’s hard to talk about who’d play Ingrid without discussing the casting conundrum presented by any story with an Asian American protagonist. “Lucy Liu!” someone always calls out from the audience (a little smugly, as if they are the first person ever to have thought of this). Now I’m a Lucy Liu fan -- and think it’s brilliant there’s an Asian American Dr. Watson -- but...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Helen Wan's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

My Book, The Movie: The Partner Track.

--Marshal Zeringue