Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Emily Raboteau's "Searching for Zion," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: Searching for Zion: The Quest for Home in the African Diaspora by Emily Raboteau.

The entry begins:
Imagining Searching for Zion as a movie is a little disconcerting since it’s a memoir. But it pleases me to imagine giving work to so many black actors. Since the book is an exploration of Zionist movements across the African diaspora it would have an even more variegated cast than The Wire, which I loved for its broad spectrum of black experience. The production would need to be shot in the locations I traveled: Israel, Jamaica, Ethiopia, Ghana and areas of the southern United States. The soundtrack would include Negro spirituals, gospel music and reggae songs about Zion and/or the “Promised Land,” including Bob Marley’s “Iron, Lion, Zion.” This would be my dream-cast of the major roles:

Rashida Jones of The Office and Parks and Recreation as myself. She’s got the racial ambiguity to pull it off and the right comic sensibility. Also, I like to kid myself that I’m that hot. She looks young enough to play the 23 year-old I was at the start of my journey as well as...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Emily Raboteau's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

My Book, The Movie: Searching for Zion.

--Marshal Zeringue