Saturday, April 21, 2012

Tupelo Hassman’s "girlchild," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: girlchild by Tupelo Hassman.

The entry begins:
Imagining girlchild as a film has been on my mind since girlchild was a zygote, when she was just about thirty pages, maybe eight of them any good, and I was still an undergrad at the community college where I now teach. Complete hubris, right? The book was still a twinkle in my eye but I was able to imagine its film version! This confidence is all thanks to my first Creative Writing prof, Jim Krusoe. Jim is the one who introduced me to filmmaker Michael Hacker, and so it began.

Michael was looking for stories to adapt for the big screen and I have no idea what I was looking for but over the ten years since we met, a novel grew where there was none, as did one of my greatest friendships. Michael has been there through the bad things that can happen in a decade: the death of my father, the brain injury suffered by a dear brother, innumerable breakups that are pretty specks in the past now but were so very important at the time, and, for each of us, the heart death of losing a beloved dog. We’ve been...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Tupelo Hassman's website.

The Page 69 Test: girlchild.

My Book, The Movie: girlchild.

--Marshal Zeringue