Thursday, June 19, 2008

Influential cookbooks: Thomas Wolfe

I've posted a new entry at Dining with Bacchus about my visit with Chef Thomas Wolfe of Peristyle and Wolfe's in the Warehouse.

He told me a lot about his development as a chef, shared some stories about working on the line at Emeril's with several individuals who would go on to national fame as chefs, and explained the four-day process behind his famous Slow Roasted Cane Syrup Duck.

I also tried to get him to tell me about his least favorite chef.

I asked him about cookbooks that he considered influential to his approach to cooking, too. Here are a few of the titles he mentioned:
The books of Thomas Keller, the famous chef-restaurateur behind The French Laundry and per se, and author of several cookbooks, for his methods and philosophy.

James Peterson's books, especially his Fish & Shellfish and Glorious French Food.

The chef's ultimate reference book: Larousse Gastronomique.
Read about my visit with Chef Tom Wolfe at Peristyle.

--Marshal Zeringue