Saturday, April 19, 2008

What is Harlan Coben reading?

Harlan Coben talked to the Christian Science Monitor about what he's been watching and listening to. And reading:
I've been reading mostly manuscripts and advance copies of books because I always feel an obligation, when I can, to blurb somebody who is unknown. It's been a while since I've read something unpredictable that has really knocked my socks off.

I liked Jesse Kellerman's new book, which will be out soon, called "The Genius." He's the son of very famous crime writers Jonathan and Faye Kellerman. It's actually an interesting story set in the art world [about] a man who discovers these drawings and [that] leads back to some terrible crimes that even reverberate in the hero's own family.

Almost every year, between [writing] books, I reread a book by Anne Lamont called "Bird by Bird." It's purported to be a writers guide, but it's a hilarious essay book about the insecurities and the mind of anyone involved in creative endeavors. I read it constantly, every year. It just sort of fills me up and gets me revved up to write another book.
Read about what Coben has been watching and listening to.

Visit Harlan Coben's website and MySpace page.

--Marshal Zeringue