Sunday, February 24, 2008

Erika Schickel's "You’re Not the Boss of Me," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: Erika Schickel 's You're Not the Boss of Me: Adventures of a Modern Mom.

Her entry opens:
Well, everyone wants a movie made of his or her life, right? And since my book You’re Not the Boss of Me is a memoir that is literally what it would be. As chance would have it, my book was optioned for a TV series last summer and I had many conversations with my producers about who would play me, so I come to this challenge well armed.

First of all, let it be said that I think I should play me. I was an actress long before I got into the writing racket and I think I would be brilliant in the role of Moi, but of course no one wants to make films starring 43 year-old unknown actresses. So, what-ever, Mary.

My next choice was Laura Linney, because she’s smart and brittle and has that New York/intellectual/WASP thing going and those are my people. Did you see The Squid and the Whale? That was my childhood and Linney was note perfect in that. But producers were cool on her and started trying to sell me on...[read on]
Read more about You're Not the Boss of Me: Adventures of a Modern Mom.

Schickel's essays can be found in several anthologies and online at LAObserved.com, TheDailyReel.com and The Huffington Post. She is a regular book critic and op-ed contributor for the Los Angeles Times and also contributes to the LA Weekly, Los Angeles City Beat and the Chicago Tribune.

Visit Erika Schickel's website and her column on MOLI.com.

The Page 69 Test: You're Not the Boss of Me.

My Book, The Movie: You're Not the Boss of Me.

--Marshal Zeringue