Thursday, August 01, 2024

Melanie Sumrow's "Girls Like Her," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: Girls Like Her by Melanie Sumrow.

The entry begins:
Girls Like Her is the story of a 15-year-old girl who is in jail awaiting trial for the murder of a wealthy businessman. But as you read Ruby’s story, you realize there is so much more to her than that. With the help of her assigned social worker, the layers of truth are peeled away to reveal what really happened the day Ruby met the man who would end up dead.

I relied heavily upon my experience as a lawyer to craft Ruby’s story and when I’m writing a new book, I often try to think of the stories that already exist in the space I’m working. In this case, if you liked books-turned-film series such as Defending Jacob, Orange is the New Black, Anatomy of a Scandal, and Monster, you will probably also enjoy Girls Like Her, which explores the truths so often lost in the American justice system and one girl’s fight to be heard.

I was recently asked who my dream casting would be if Ruby’s story was translated into film, which was something new for me. Typically as I’m writing, I think more of what’s on the inside of a character rather than their physical appearance. But after initially drawing a blank, I started to have fun with imagining what real people could play the characters that had lived in my head for so long.

Because Ruby is a teenager with an edge, an unreliable narrator who also has an unmistakable vulnerability, I would love to see what actors like Jenny Ortega, Abby Ryder Fortson or Sadie Sink could do to bring out...[read on]
Visit Melanie Sumrow's website.

My Book, The Movie: Girls Like Her.

--Marshal Zeringue