Tuesday, August 08, 2023

Q&A with James Byrne

From my Q&A with James Byrne, author of Deadlock: A Thriller:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

The editor of the Dez Limerick series (The Gatekeeper, Deadlock) is Keith Kahla at Minotaur Books. He’s a friend and has edited me before. He makes my books better. I met him at a World Mystery Convention and told him I was working on a single-protagonist action/adventure book.

“What’s it called?” he asked.

“Limerick.”

“What’s it going to be called?”

That’s Keith’s very subtle way of reminding me how much freight the title needs to carry!

My second choice was The Gatekeeper. My hero, Dez, worked in a foreign military as a “gatekeeper,” a breach-expert, capable of opening any door, keeping it open for as long as necessary, and controlling who does, and doesn’t, go through. I’d been looking for a unique skill set that I hadn’t read in other thriller/mystery novels, and finally settled on that one. So I...[read on]
Visit James Byrne's website.

Q&A with James Byrne.

--Marshal Zeringue