Sunday, August 09, 2020

Q&A with Nina Sadowsky

From my Q&A with Nina Sadowsky, author of Convince Me:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

Convince Me lifts a heavy load in this regard. A novel that explores the havoc created by pathological lying, the title operates on numerous levels, from the unreliable narrators that populate the book to my sleight of hand as an author. The definition of the word "Convincer" even adds a dramatic flourish on the very last page.

What's in a name?

Whenever I begin a new project, I create extensive biographies for all my main characters. During my first, free association pass on this self-created questionnaire, I determine what I instinctively know about a character and what I can reverse engineer to best use that character to explore the thematic playground in which I've decided to play. The first question of hundreds is what is the character's name? Names matters. They can indicate such things as ethnicity, race or heritage, or can be used to...[read on]
Visit Nina Sadowsky's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Burial Society.

My Book, The Movie: The Burial Society.

The Page 69 Test: The Empty Bed.

The Page 69 Test: Convince Me.

Q&A with Nina Sadowsky.

--Marshal Zeringue