Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Six top books about LGBT life

John Boyne’s latest novel for younger readers is My Brother’s Name Is Jessica. At the Guardian he tagged "some classic, personal novels and true accounts of the battle for civil rights," including:
It’s a rite of passage for every young gay man to read Edmund White’s A Boy’s Own Story, the classic tale of a teenager coming to terms with his homosexuality. I first read it when I was 15 years old, hiding the book at the back of my wardrobe, terrified that anyone might find it and discover my terrible secret! It was dangerous, it was seductive, but it spoke to me in such a way that I felt sure it had been written for me alone, a conviction shared by many of its readers. White remains a hero, a stalwart, a champion for the ages.
Read about another entry on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue