Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Eight juicy, heartbreaking, fascinating memoirs from Hollywood

At Flavorwire Alison Nastasi tagged eight juicy Hollywood memoirs, including:
Tallulah: My Autobiography

The screen and stage siren dishes about her collaboration with Hitchcock and more. Best quote: “I have three phobias which, could I mute them, would make my life as slick as a sonnet, but as dull as ditch water — I hate to go to bed, I hate to get up, and I hate to be alone.” From University Press of Mississippi:
In Tallulah, first published in 1952 and a New York Times bestseller for twenty-six weeks, Bankhead’s literary voice is as lively and forthright as her public persona. She details her childhood and adolescence, discusses her dedication to the theater, and presents amusing anecdotes about her life in Hollywood, New York, and London. Along with a searing defense of her lifestyle and rambunctious habits, she provides a fiercely opinionated, wildly funny account of American stage at a time when the movies were beginning to cast theater into eclipse. This is not only a memoir of an independent woman but also an insider look at American entertainment during a golden age.
Read about another entry on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue