Saturday, May 30, 2015

Sarah Elizabeth Schantz's "Fig," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: Fig by Sarah Elizabeth Schantz.

The entry begins:
Unfortunately, the actress, Mia Wasikowska who I always imagined playing Fig is probably too old to do so now. Maybe not? Maybe Elle Fanning could pull it off? Otherwise, it might have to be a newcomer. I’m also not entirely sure how they would address the span of the particular thirteen years that unfolds in this book since it is six to nineteen. There might need to be a child actress for the early years and then someone like Mia or Elle for the older Fig. The little girl, Coco Willett, who played Fig in the book trailer I made with some friends, would do a most excellent job for ages 6-11 (if we made the movie right now).

After a long time brainstorming all the possible Mamas I am almost entirely positive that Amy Adams should get the role. For a while I’d considered Tilda Swinton (especially after her role as the mother in the film, We Need to Talk About Kevin), and then Jessica Chastain, but I think Adams has the warmth necessary to be Fig’s mother. It’s because of Mama’s tenderness that our hearts break like they do as we watch this poor woman come undone by mental illness. That said Kate...[read on]
Visit Sarah Elizabeth Schantz's website.

The Page 69 Test: Fig.

My Book, The Movie: Fig.

--Marshal Zeringue