Sunday, December 02, 2012

Marjorie Senechal's "I Died for Beauty," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie:  I Died for Beauty: Dorothy Wrinch and the Cultures of Science by Marjorie Senechal.

The entry begins:
A movie, or an opera? One thick thread in this complicated story -- Dorothy Wrinch's epic battle with Linus Pauling, the famous chemist -- demands the stage. "Two brilliant, arrogant, competitive antagonists with a flair for publicity and a touch of the devious! And what a plot!"(See Chapter 16 for a synopsis.) But I'd opt for the movie if Emma Thompson plays Dorothy. Emma, please say yes! Dorothy was beautiful, brilliant, charming, courageous, dismissive, imperious, infuriating, vivacious, witty, and fatefully stubborn, all in a British accent. This could be the role of your career.

That settled, let's try to cast the other 75-plus colorful characters in Dorothy's fascinating life. I'll suggest a few. Hugh...[read on]
Learn more about I Died for Beauty at the Oxford University Press website.

Marjorie Senechal is the Louise Wolff Kahn Professor Emerita in Mathematics and History of Science and Technology, Smith College, and Co-Editor of The Mathematical Intelligencer.

My Book, The Movie:  I Died for Beauty.

--Marshal Zeringue