Monday, June 27, 2011

Coffee with a canine: Bruce Littlefield & Westminster

Today's featured duo at Coffee with a Canine: Bruce Littlefield and Westminster.

From the Q & A, on Wes's contribution to Littlefield's writing:
He’s my sidekick, my muse, and is the inspiration for The Bedtime Book for Dogs. One day I was working away at my computer on a book project, and he obviously wanted my attention. When I looked down at him, I asked, “What? You want me to write you a book?” He wagged his tail and this tale was born. It was a real “aha!” moment. He’s retained an attorney to...[read on]
Among the early praise for The Bedtime Book for Dogs:
“With its thick outlines, bright colors, beady canine eyes, and endearing dog’s-eye viewpoint, debut illustrator Heath’s artwork … gives the pages a feeling that’s half comic book, half primer. Words and commands familiar to dogs (lie down, treat, squirrel, good dog) lace the text and provide potential opportunities for interactivity with pets.”
Publishers Weekly

“The book, a simple story about a good dog who decides to walk himself because his companion is too busy, is charming, adorably illustrated, and… well, genius.”
Pet Home Magazine

“The publication of Bruce Littlefield’s The Bedtime Book for Dogs takes this (pet) obsession one stage further. Littlefield has written children’s stories to read to your dog before it goes to sleep. It’s all perfectly deranged, of course, but good-natured and loving and, in Littlefield’s case, actually rather well-written.”
—FT.com

“‘The Bedtime Book for Dogs,’ by Bruce Littlefield is adorable, cleverly incorporating into the story words that dogs actually know. (Not that I think any of you actually read to your dogs.) (Or do you?) It begins: ‘Come. Sit. Stay. I want to tell you a story. I think you’ll like it. It’s about a TREAT.’ My dog, I can assure you, would be all ears by now.”
Star Tribune

"Bruce Littlefield, reigning guru of garage sales, Airstreams, and Christmas lights goes to the dogs with this one-of-a-kind picture book, groomed for reading aloud to furry best friends. Childlike artwork and recognizable words (“come,” “stay,” “treat”) will get tails wagging. Fetch!"
–Chronogram
Visit Bruce Littlefield's website and Facebook page.

Writers Read: Bruce Littlefield.

Read--Coffee with a Canine: Bruce Littlefield and Westminster.

--Marshal Zeringue