Sunday, May 29, 2011

Jonathan Evison's 6 favorite books

Jonathan Evison is the author of All About Lulu, which won the Washington State Book Award. In 2009, he was the recipient of a Richard Buckley Fellowship from the Christopher Isherwood Foundation.

His new novel is West of Here.

For The Week magazine, Evison named his six favorite books.

One novel on his list:
Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan

Clever bugs me. Even Kurt Vonnegut, whom I hold dear to my heart, can get on my nerves when he can’t resist his own cleverness. Brautigan is different. The dude couldn’t seem to help it. It didn’t feel like he was showing off. Beneath his goofy sensibility and stoned wit lies a clear-eyed moral vision that reminds me of Whitman’s.
Read about another novel on the list.

Jeff Noon called Trout Fishing in America the "best ever novel about trout fishing in America."

The Page 99 Test: Jonathan Evison's All About Lulu.

--Marshal Zeringue