Wednesday, March 03, 2010

What is Josh Berk reading?

The current featured contributor at Writers Read: Josh Berk, author of The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin.

His entry begins:
I was lucky enough to recently meet Rebecca Stead and have her sign When You Reach Me, this year's Newbery Winner, for me. I'm not bragging about how fancy my friends are! OK, I sort of am. But anyway, the book is great. I was completely enthralled. It has some fantastical elements, but somehow feels entirely real. The narrator is a sixth grader named Miranda who is completely convincing and likable. The story captured me from page one. I think I liked some of the small moments best, like when Miranda is learning the right way to cut bread at a deli. Maybe it's these small, almost mundane moments, that make the big, fantastic things work so well. It's also worth nothing that the adult characters are well-rounded and believable. This is...[read on]
Among the early praise for The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin:
"This witty tale of mainstreaming, misfits and murder glitters like the 'Future Diamonds' that coal-mine souvenirs promise to someday become..."
--Kirkus Reviews, starred review

"A humorous first novel from an author to watch."
--Booklist

"A genre-bending breakthrough that teens are going to love."
--School Library Journal, starred review,
Read an excerpt from The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin, and learn more about the book and author at Josh Berk's website and blog.

Writers Read: Josh Berk.

--Marshal Zeringue