Saturday, May 12, 2007

Laura Lippman's most important books

Laura Lippman told Newsweek about her five most important books.

And two books that are not so important to her:
A classic that, on rereading, disappointed:

The Catcher in the Rye, by J. D. Salinger. As an adult, I have no use for it.

A Certified Important Book you haven't read:

Proust's Remembrance of Things Past. It was one of only three novels I packed for a three-month fellowship in Mexico. I don't think I ever got past page three.
Lippman described Number One on her list:
I began reading this at 12 because I had inferred that it was very dirty. I think I was 19 by the time I identified the dirty parts, and by then I no longer cared. My favorite novel, hands down.
Try to guess the title before reading more about Lippman's list at Lit Lists.

Laura Lippman's most recent novel, What the Dead Know, is enjoying terrific reviews.

The Page 69 Test: What the Dead Know.

--Marshal Zeringue