Wednesday, November 08, 2006

"Born Red: A Chronicle of the Cultural Revolution"

Fan that I am of Golden Arches East, I contacted its editor, Professor James L. Watson of Harvard University, and asked him if there was a book he would recommend to non-academic audiences to introduce them to his general field of study. Here's his reply.
I would recommend the following for people (of all ages) who want to know something of the Maoist background to contemporary China (it is a great read and my students have a hard time putting it down once they start it):

Yuan Gao's Born Red: A Chronicle of the Cultural Revolution.

I have used this book for years and although it was published years ago, it is still in print and still sells well for Stanford University Press.
Click here to read more endorsements for Born Red.

--Marshal Zeringue