Saturday, October 07, 2006

What was Val Kilmer reading?

A year ago the Christian Science Monitor asked the actor Val Kilmer what movies he was watching and what he was listening to...and what he was reading. On the latter:
I've been reading Chronicles, the Bob Dylan book. What an interesting mind. (I'm proud to say I know him; he's in the Rolodex.) He's so vivid and you feel like you're right there at the beginning of the '60s. You're reading history from someone who made it. I just read A Dead Man in Deptford by Anthony Burgess. Incredible that he didn't start writing until his 40s because he was misdiagnosed with a terminal disease and retired from his military career. He said, 'Well, maybe I'll try writing.' All this incredible stuff came pouring out of him. A very interesting take on Christopher Marlowe and those times of Shakespeare. Poetry: Seamus Heaney's The Burial at Thebes: A Version of Sophocles' Antigone. To me he is the best kind of poet. He is a real dreamer. [He has] that Irish predilection for darkness -- yet still holds on to that joy of life. A really unique voice.
Click here to learn about Kilmer's taste in film and music.

Click here for what is in my view Kilmer's best film.

--Marshal Zeringue