Tuesday, October 31, 2006

What is Malcolm Gladwell reading?

In conjunction with the publication of its Fall Books issue, the New Yorker asked a few of its regular contributors what they were reading.

Among the respondents--Malcolm Gladwell:
I’ve just read Michael Lewis’s The Blind Side, which I think is my favorite Lewis book ever (and I’ve loved them all). I’ve just started Michael Tolkin’s The Return of the Player, because I ran into Tolkin at a party and he seemed really, really funny—and the book does not disappoint. It’s hard to go wrong with a book that has, as one of its characters, a man with seven hundred and fifty million dollars who is desperate to become a billionaire. Next up is the new Don Winslow thriller, The Winter of Frankie Machine. I’m an avid thriller-reader and have recently become hooked on Winslow, the way I got hooked on Lee Child a few years ago. I’m also working my way through the great love of my life, which is the British magazine Car, which (The New Yorker excepted) I think might be the best magazine in the world. Imagine a car magazine, photographed and laid out as beautifully as Vogue, that reads as though it was written entirely by overeducated, slightly snotty, and hilarious Englishmen in their twenties. What’s not to like?
Malcolm Gladwell has been a staff writer with the New Yorker magazine since 1996. His 1999 profile of Ron Popeil won a National Magazine Award, and in 2005 he was named one of TIME magazine's 100 Most Influential People. He is the author of two books, The Tipping Point: How Little Things Make a Big Difference, (2000) and Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (2005), both of which were number one New York Times bestsellers.

--Marshal Zeringue