Wednesday, October 06, 2021

Q&A with Katherine Ashenburg

From my Q&A with Katherine Ashenburg, author of Her Turn: A Novel:
Photo by Joy von Tiedemann

How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

I was well into writing the novel when I settled on the title. Liz, my heroine, edits a newspaper column of personal essays called “My Turn.” Calling the novel Her Turn indicates that Liz is going to take centerstage now, and also suggests that it’s finally her turn to make sense of her divorce. There’s also a little word-play in the title, in that Liz changes quite a bit in the course of the book: she turns.

With the first meaning, of Liz coming forward, the emphasis is “Her Turn.” With the second meaning, the emphasis is “Her Turn.”

What’s in a name?

When I used to read about novelists saying their characters took over, I rolled my eyes: it all seemed...[read on]
Visit Katherine Ashenburg's website.

Q&A with Katherine Ashenburg.

--Marshal Zeringue