Thursday, August 01, 2019

Fiona Davis's "The Chelsea Girls," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: The Chelsea Girls by Fiona Davis.

The entry begins:
The Chelsea Girls is set in the New York City theater world during the McCarthy era, as a playwright and an actress are trying to mount a show on Broadway. Then it jumps to 1967, as the ramifications of that time become clear. Hazel and Maxine live in the Chelsea Hotel, which is full of eccentric characters, many taken from real life. In a perfect world, I’d have the people who make cameos in the book appear in the movie, musicians like Leonard Cohen and Janis Joplin, playwrights like Arthur Miller. (Deep sigh).

However, while I was writing the manuscript, I had three photos above my desk of actors who I imagined as the lead characters. In real life, the actors come from a mix of generations, which means we unfortunately can’t bring them all together for the movie shoot.

Hazel Ripley is a reluctant actress and budding playwright who’s trying to mount a play on Broadway during the McCarthy era. I imaged Grace Kelly in the role, as she’s someone who is pretty but...[read on]
Visit Fiona Davis's website.

My Book, The Movie: The Address.

My Book, The Movie: The Masterpiece.

My Book, The Movie: The Chelsea Girls.

--Marshal Zeringue