Thursday, September 20, 2012

Flynn Meaney's "The Boy Recession," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: The Boy Recession by Flynn Meaney.

The entry begins:
My second YA novel, The Boy Recession, is narrated by two different characters. Hunter is a laid-back slacker who’s smart and musically talented, but lazy. When writing Hunter, I pictured him with long, shaggy blonde hair and a low-key vibe. I saw a few episodes of the American version of Skins, and Stanley, played by Daniel Flaherty, reminded me of Hunter. But I didn’t realize just how perfect Daniel would be for the role of Hunter until I did some online research…his MTV biography says Daniel “spends his free time skateboarding, playing guitar and singing in his band,” which is exactly like Hunter! Apparently Daniel even sang on an episode of Skins, so he could definitely play Hunter in a Boy Recession movie—no skateboarding stunt doubles or lip-synching needed!

The female narrator, Kelly, is down-to-earth, sarcastic, and the voice of reason for her crazy friends. Someone like...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Flynn Meaney's website.

Flynn Meaney is an alumna of the University of Notre Dame; she also earned a M.F.A. in the Creative Writing program at Hunter College.

My Book, The Movie: The Boy Recession.

--Marshal Zeringue