Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sara Benincasa's "Agorafabulous!," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: Agorafabulous!: Dispatches From My Bedroom by Sara Benincasa.

The entry begins:
Agorafabulous!: Dispatches From My Bedroom is my memoir of my struggle with mental illness. I take the reader on a magical journey from summer academic camp to a disastrous trip to Sicily to an ill-fated stint at college in Boston to an emergency room in North Carolina to the ashram of a crazy gay spiritual guru in Pennsylvania to a classroom full of boner-haunted 14-year-olds in Texas to a maybe-miscarriage and a definite-comedy career in New York City. It's a heady romp through good times and bad, which is obviously why it should be made into a big major motion picture, and why someone should pay me vast amounts of money for the right to do such a thing.

Obviously, Zach Galifianakis ought to play me. He looks handsome in a dress in my sticky lady fantasies, so he'd look cute as hell in the fin-de-siecle J. Crew and Delia's gear I sport for much of the narrative.

My short Italian mother who rescued me from my agoraphobic cave of filth (a.k.a. apartment) will be played by Sophia...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Sara Benincasa's website, blog, and Facebook page.

My Book, The Movie: Agorafabulous!.

--Marshal Zeringue