Saturday, May 03, 2008

What is Sarah Anderson reading?

The latest contributor to Writers Read: Sarah Anderson, whose latest books include the second edition of Inside Notting Hill, co-authored with Miranda Davies, and Halfway to Venus: A One-Armed Journey, her memoir and story of living with one arm.

Anderson lectures and writes on travel; her articles have been published in all major British newspapers. She has been a judge for the Whitbread Biography prize, the Shiva Naipaul essay prize and the Thomas Cook Travel Book Award. Anderson founded the Travel Bookshop, which formed the setting for the movie Notting Hill.

One book mentioned in her entry:
The novel I finished most recently is Alan Paton’s Cry the Beloved Country, a book I had been meaning to read for years. I found it intensely moving and couldn’t believe that it had first been published in 1948. I found myself sobbing on buses (where I do a lot of my reading) – a very powerful book. [read on]
Read more about Halfway to Venus.

Learn about Sarah Anderson's top ten books about wilderness.

Writers Read: Sarah Anderson.

--Marshal Zeringue