Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Pg. 69: "Revenge of the Homecoming Queen"

The current feature at the Page 69 Test: teen fiction writer Stephanie Hale's Revenge of the Homecoming Queen.

About the book, from the author's website:

All that matters is what's inside ... as long as your outside is wearing the tiara.

I, the flawless Aspen Brooks, was born to be Homecoming Queen. Naturally, I'm dating Lucas Riley, the quarterback, and the most popular guy in school. Blessed with stunning good looks, excellent style, and mega brains, I had that crown in the bag.

So please tell me why, oh why, the tiara is being placed on the skanky head of Angel Ives and not me? My confusion only grows after I hear that the school didn't vote my hottie bf to be Homecoming King, but ultra-dork Rand Bachrach instead. To my total shock and horror, Angel actually accuses me of being behind this! As if! Then she goes all Carrie on me, vowing revenge. Like, I'm really worried.

But then something goes terribly, terribly wrong. Strange things are happening - even stranger than Angel beating me out. And now someone's leaving me threatening messages and slashing the tires on my precious car. I know it's that beyotch Angel doing these things, so if she wants a war, by Dooney & Bourke she'll get one!

Among the early praise for the novel:
"Revenge of the Homecoming Queen by Stephanie Hale is delightfully clever, laugh-out-loud funny, and touching in ways you won’t expect. In her debut novel, Hale manages to address everyday issues of teen life and major social problems with equally sensitivity, and with a wry, witty humor the constantly surprises."
--Tera Lynn Childs

"Revenge of the Homecoming Queen is an awesome book. I loved how Stephanie Hale jumps from one conflict to the next. It kept me hanging on throughout the story."
--Flamingnet.com
Read more about Revenge of the Homecoming Queen at Stephanie Hale's website, and check out Hale's MySpace page and the Books, Boys, Buzz blog.

Twisted Sisters, Hale's second novel from Berkley Jam, is due out in January 2008.

The Page 69 Test: Revenge of the Homecoming Queen.

--Marshal Zeringue