Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Q&A with Denise Derya Brandt

From my Q&A with Denise Derya Brandt, author of Istanbul Dreaming: A Novel:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

A lot, I hope! I was originally going to title the novel A Modern Turkish Woman, but ultimately I think I went with the better choice. I wanted Istanbul in the title for a few reasons. It’s my favorite city in the world, and it’s where my main character’s life changes in ways she could previously only have dreamed of.

I was cautioned against using a gerund in the title, but I kept coming back to “California Dreamin’” by the Mamas and Papas. If it worked for them, I figured it could work for me too! My main character, Ayten, really does dream about Istanbul.

What’s in a name?

The names in Istanbul Dreaming were very important for me to...[read on]
Visit Denise Derya Brandt's website.

Writers Read: Denise Derya Brandt.

The Page 69 Test: Istanbul Dreaming.

Q&A with Denise Derya Brandt.

--Marshal Zeringue