Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Q&A with Daniel Weizmann

From my Q&A with Daniel Weizmann, author of The Last Songbird:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

It wasn’t the first title of my manuscript, but I think it does a better job of setting the mood. First, a songbird is a thing of mystery and beauty…and like the victim in my mystery, former folk icon Annie Linden, there is a fleeting, capricious, or uncatchable quality to a singing bird. But there’s another even cooler meaning to the title which I myself didn’t see until the book was already off to the printer. Songbird is slang for a female singer, of course, but especially one that came up in the 20th century jazz age—the “canaries” started as caged birds, singing to support the big bands, but by the late ‘60s, many brave female singers really were free entities, writing their own songs and often performing solo too. Annie is the last of...[read on]
Visit Daniel Weizmann's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Last Songbird.

Q&A with Daniel Weizmann.

--Marshal Zeringue