Monday, February 03, 2014

Q & A: Sean Black

Sean Black is the author of the Ryan Lock series of high concept thrillers and the newly released Post. To research his thrillers, Black has trained as a bodyguard in the UK and Eastern Europe, spent time inside America's most dangerous Supermax prison, Pelican Bay in California, undergone desert survival training in Arizona, and ventured into the tunnels under Las Vegas. A graduate of Columbia University in New York, he also holds a Masters degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics from Oxford University, England.

A brief Q & A with the author:
How would you complete this line: "You might well enjoy my book if you like..."?

If you enjoy thrillers with big ideas at the center then you'll enjoy my new thriller, Post. Through my Ryan Lock series, and the research I do, I have gotten to know a lot of veterans, many of whom suffer from PTSD. At the same time, I became aware of American military research aimed at using technology to help soldiers who are suffering the effects of PTSD. If you think about it, neuroscience has to be the next major frontier for humanity. There is already a huge amount of academic interest in so called post-humanism.

At the same time, with Post, I wanted to tell a very human story so I made sure the emotional core of the story is about love. It's about a man who more than anything wants to return home to his wife. But years of war have changed him, so the challenge is an emotional as well as a physical one.

What is your second favorite art form?

I have a few. I love movies and television. I studied film at Columbia in New York and that have me a knowledge and love for cinema. I also worked in TV as a writer for almost ten years before I quit to wrote my first book, Lockdown.

Recently though I have found myself very drawn to painting. In particular the work of a South Korean artist called KwangHo Shin. You can see some of his work online here. In fact I had one of his paintings as my screensaver when I was writing Post. It sounds strange but this one piece of art was a huge inspiration to me when I was writing the book.
Visit Sean Black's website, blog, and Facebook page.

--Marshal Zeringue