Friday, February 07, 2014

Q & A: John DeDakis

From a Q & A with John DeDakis, author of Troubled Water:
How would you complete this line: "You might well enjoy my book if you like..."?

You might enjoy my book if you like the authors John Grisham or Sue Grafton -- and not just because both their last names start with G-r. I like both these authors because their writing is lean and unadorned. Their emphasis is on telling a good story -- and doing so unpretentiously. I write like them, not because I pattern myself after them, but because of my training and long-time experience as a just-the-facts-ma'am journalist.

As a writer, my goal is to get you to keep turning pages because you're invested in the characters and you find the story compelling. Grisham's protagonists are lawyers, Grafton's is a private eye, and both authors give their readers a glimpse behind the veil to show how those jobs are done. My heroine, Lark Chadwick, is a journalist. One reason I think you'll enjoy my book is because...[read on]
Award-winning journalist John DeDakis is a former CNN Senior Copy Editor for the Emmy and Peabody-Award winning news program The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer. DeDakis, whose journalism career spans nearly four and a half decades, served as a White House correspondent and interviewed such luminaries as Alfred Hitchcock, Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan. A writing coach who currently teaches journalism at The University of Maryland—College Park, John DeDakis lives in Washington, DC.

Visit John DeDakis's website, blog, and Facebook page.

--Marshal Zeringue