Friday, April 05, 2013

Top 10 books featuring grandparents

Sarah Moore Fitzgerald's debut novel Back to Blackbrick features a boy who lives with his grandparents. Published in the UK in February by Orion, Back to Blackbrick will be released in the US in September 2013 by Simon & Schuster. An academic and associate vice president at the University of Limerick by day, Fitzgerald writes novels late at night under cover of darkness.

One of the author's top ten books featuring grandparents, as told to the Guardian:
Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Before you say anything, I do know that this fictional character has been unmercifully mocked over the many years since the novel was published. But no matter, because my mother read me this story before I became a hardened cynic, and to me he'll always be the irrepressibly optimistic boy whose faith in human nature created a self-fulfilling prophecy of positively redemptive proportions. "Just lean on me Grandfather, I'll walk very slowly." Come on - he was a very good boy and his grandfather turned out lovely in the end.
Read about another book on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue