Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Interview: Rawi Hage

Writer and professor Ray Taras interviewed author Rawi Hage about his new novel, Carnival.

The opening exchanges of the Q & A:
Taras: Was a “carnival city” necessary in order for you to narrate the stories you did in this novel? How indispensable is this location for the events you describe to take place?

Hage: Places are very conflicting to me, and my narrators often clash with the places they inhabit. I have an antagonistic relationship with cities. I maneuver better in cities and have always lived in them. And my characters are shaped by cities. Nature is not only foreign to them but even menacing. I criticize cities but I can’t get away from them.

Taras: One early review of Carnival speculates that the city described is New Orleans. Is that the case or is it somewhere else?

Hage: It is somewhere...[read on]
Read the complete interview.

Read more about Carnival at the W.W. Norton website.

--Marshal Zeringue