Sunday, February 10, 2013

What is Thomas Maltman reading?

The current featured contributor at Writers Read: Thomas Maltman, author of Little Wolves.

His entry begins:
I come to writing as a reader first. It’s a love of reading that brings me to the blank page. In high school I sometimes devoured entire novels in a single afternoon and I daydreamed one day about writing a book of my own. A love of books and language is what brings me here and sustains me.

I like to keep a number of books from different genres on my nightstand, from poetry to fiction, and my tastes roam a broad territory. I tend to have mix popular fiction, literary, and classics going all at once.

This means that right now I’m rereading Charles Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities. I remember loving this in high school. Dickens is master at setting up scenes like a cinematographer, his omniscient style sweeping over courtrooms or rioting city streets to illumine a single subject. I’m also reading this a second time because my next book is about...[read on]
About Little Wolves, from the publisher:
A tragic act of violence echoes through a small Minnesota town

Set on the Minnesota prairie in the late 1980s during a drought season that’s pushing family farms to the brink, Little Wolves features the intertwining stories of a father searching for answers after his son commits a heinous murder, and a pastor’s wife (and washed-out scholar of early Anglo-Saxon literature) who has returned to the town for mysterious reasons of her own. A penetrating look at small-town America from the award-winning author of The Night Birds, Little Wolves weaves together elements of folklore and Norse mythology while being driven by a powerful murder mystery; a page-turning literary triumph.
Learn more about the book and author at Thomas Maltman's website.

The Page 69 Test: Little Wolves.

Writers Read: Thomas Maltman.

--Marshal Zeringue