Saturday, July 14, 2012

Myke Cole's "Control Point," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: Control Point by Myke Cole.

The entry begins:
Control Point is ... cinematic, to put it mildly. One of the publishers we flirted with called it a "Michael Bay" story, which I took as a huge compliment. Shortly after the book came out, a Hollywood agency picked it up and began shopping it around, seeing if they could get anyone interested in optioning it. That's a long process (with the same odds of success as getting a book deal in the first place), and I keep my fingers crossed.

I did an ARC signing of Control Point at New York City Comic Con before the book came out, and was lucky enough to spark the interest of a small segment of Jim Butcher's fans. We hung out at the con, squeed over the video of Star Wars: The Old Republic, and became fast friends. About a week later, they'd all read the book and a fairly detailed conversation about casting for the movie erupted over Twitter. It gave me a chance to really think about what my casting calls would be. It also helped that, when Penguin solicited inputs for the cover, I had to come up with what famous actor each character would look like. We're fantasizing here, so I reserve the right to take aging actors and melt some years off them.

My picks are:

Oscar Britton - The book's protagonist. Oscar is a bald, African-American, heavily-muscled army officer. He needs to have a combination of a tough military exterior and the ability to convey the troubled waters beneath the surface as he struggles with hard call after hard call. The US cover makes him look like Dwayne Johnson or Vin Diesel, but I think he'd be better played by a buff Christopher...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Myke Cole's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

As a security con­tractor, gov­ern­ment civilian and mil­i­tary officer, Myke Cole’s career has run the gamut from Coun­tert­er­rorism to Cyber War­fare to Federal Law Enforcement. He’s done three tours in Iraq and was recalled to serve during the Deep­water Horizon oil spill.

My Book, The Movie: Control Point.

--Marshal Zeringue