Monday, March 05, 2012

Caitlin R. Kiernan's "The Drowning Girl," the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan.

The entry begins:
This is a game I always play with myself, as I'm writing a book and afterwards. But in the case of The Drowning Girl: A Memoir, it's much more difficult than usual. There are, I think, multiple reasons for this. For one, it's such a quiet book, and so personal. But, no reason here to get into all the reasons, those specifics. My dream director would almost certainly be Lars Von Trier. especially looking at what he did in Melancholia and Antichrist. Alternately, Terrence Malick and Darren Aronofsky, they'd be almost spot on. Any of these three directors could nail the mood of the film. That quiet desperation and mounting tension, the way it is always on the edge of and finally spirals into the surreal.

It's much, much harder to imagine casting the film. I see a tremendous number of films every year, and so I'm very familiar with probably hundreds of actors, but I think that actually makes it more difficult. It would be an all-female cast, I know that. The closest thing the novel has to an antagonist is a very strange woman named Eva Canning, a character who may, or may not, be a supernatural creature of some sort. She'd have to...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Caitlin R. Kiernan's website and journal, and watch The Drowning Girl trailer.

My Book, The Movie: The Drowning Girl.

--Marshal Zeringue