Wednesday, February 01, 2012

What is Jennifer R. Hubbard reading?

The current featured contributor at Writers Read: Jennifer R. Hubbard, author of The Secret Year and Try Not to Breathe.

Her entry begins:
I’m usually reading more than one book at a time, and now is no exception. Last week, in the throes of writing my own novel, I found myself incapable of absorbing new fiction written in anyone else’s voice. I was desperately trying to keep my own novel’s narrator’s voice in my head. So I picked up two books I’ve reread many times before:

Babbitt, by Sinclair Lewis. Lewis wrote this about ninety years ago, but nobody else captures the American societal conflict that we now call the “red-blue” divide as effectively as he does. I like to reread Babbitt and Main Street when I’m trying to make sense of my own political times—when I find the current names, personalities and issues too volatile, but I want to see through to the underlying structure. These aren’t just novels about Issues, though; the characters are...[read on]
About Try Not to Breathe, from the publisher:
A dark and provocative novel from the author of The Secret Year

Ryan spends most of his time alone at the local waterfall because it's the only thing that makes him feel alive. He's sixteen, post-suicidal, and trying to figure out what to do with himself after a stint in a mental hospital. Then Nicki barges into his world, brimming with life and energy, and asking questions about Ryan's depression that no one else has ever been brave enough - or cared enough - to ask. Ryan isn't sure why he trusts Nicki with his darkest secrets, but that trust turns out to be the catalyst that he desperately needs to start living again. Jennifer R. Hubbard has created a riveting story about a difficult but important subject.
Learn more about the book and author at Jennifer R. Hubbard's website and blog.

Writers Read: Jennifer R. Hubbard.

--Marshal Zeringue