Thursday, December 09, 2010

What is Erin Blakemore reading?

The current featured contributor at Writers Read: Erin Blakemore, author of The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Her entry begins:
Right now I'm rereading Madame Curie: A Biography, a book written by Marie Curie's daughter Eve. It's a weird combination of eulogy and biography that really caught my attention when I picked it up as a little girl (how I got my hands on a gorgeous first edition is beyond me; I have a feeling it was at a library sale). When I was a kid the book represented possibility (discovering elements in a damp shed in an exotic country! Sign me up!) and courage. But this read is reminding me of the perils of biography. It's difficult enough to talk about someone else's life, much less write objectively about your own mother! And...[read on]
Among the early praise for The Heroine's Bookshelf:
"A breezy read.... It's simultaneously uplifting and poignant...The Heroine’s Bookshelf" offer a glimpse of smart, spirited, never-say-die heroines and their legendary female creators."
--Boulder Daily Camera

Heroine’s Bookshelf [is] a lift in tough times”
--Denver Post

“A frothy literary latte: rich and sweet and deeply satisfying.”
--AustenProse

“Highly enjoyable and inspiring.”
--The Occasional Grump
Visit Erin Blakemore's website and the official The Heroine's Bookshelf website.

The Page 99 Test: The Heroine's Bookshelf.

Writers Read: Erin Blakemore.

--Marshal Zeringue