Friday, September 04, 2009

"Cheers" writer Rob Long's 5 favorite TV books

In 2005 Cheers writer Rob Long named his five favorite TV books for the Wall Street Journal.

One title on the list:
"Gasping for Airtime" by Jay Mohr (Hyperion, 2004).

I'm awfully fond of the actor and comedian Jay Mohr's account of his dismal two years on "Saturday Night Live." "Gasping for Airtime" is a book only marginally about trying to break out and become famous. It's really about the cruelty and despair that exists on every show, in every cast and in every conversation in Hollywood, just beneath the surface. But I'll bet people come up to him and say, "I loved your book! It's what made me want to be on 'Saturday Night Live'!" I wonder how he responds to that.
Read about another book on Long's list.

--Marshal Zeringue