Friday, March 13, 2009

Jennifer Boylan's memoirs, the movie

Now showing at My Book, The Movie: She's Not There and I'm Looking Through You by Jennifer Finney Boylan.

Part of the entry:
My friend Richard Russo could be played by my former roommate, Charlie Kaufman. As Charlie Kaufman: Richard Russo.

(Let us interrupt the narrative once more to note that recently Russo and I were at a party at Don McLean's house. When things broke up, I went inside (this was a garden party) to check out the house, which was gorgeous: one of the most jaw-droppingly tasteful and beautiful places I'd ever seen. There was a bust of Don McLean inside a parlor, which made me smile, and later, when Rick and I were out to dinner, I noted that there wasn't a bust of Russo in HIS house. I said, "Russo, some day soon, you're going to say to yourself, "I gotta get a bust!" Without pause, our man raised his glass and said, "Well, Boylan. You did.")

As my loving and long-suffering spouse: Peggy Lipton. As my resolute, charming mother: Blythe Danner. As my judgmental, cruel, unforgiving sister: Oh, I don't know. How about Willem Dafoe?[read on]
Jennifer Finney Boylan is a widely praised author and professor. Her memoir, She's Not There, was one of the first bestselling works by a transgendered American and is currently in its eighth printing. Her 2008 memoir, I'm Looking Through You, is about growing up in a haunted house.

Visit Jennifer Boylan's website.

The Page 69 Test: I'm Looking Through You.

My Book, The Movie: She's Not There and I'm Looking Through You.

--Marshal Zeringue