Thursday, October 16, 2008

What is Rachel Toor reading?

The current featured contributor to Writers Read: Rachel Toor, author of The Pig and I: How I Learned to Love Men (Almost) as Much as I Love My Pets, Admissions Confidential: An Insider’s Account of the Elite College Selection Process, and the newly released Personal Record: A Love Affair with Running.

Toor teaches writing at Eastern Washington University, is a columnist for the Chronicle of Higher Education, and a senior writer for Running Times.

A couple of paragraphs from her entry:
By my bed I have towering stacks. During daylight hours, I'm only allowed to read nonfiction that is work-related. So I'm going through Nicholas Lemann's history of the SAT, The Big Test, and also Jerome Karabel's The Chosen, about the history of admissions at Harvard, Princeton, and Yale. This is because I was asked to write a chapter for a three-volume history of the business of higher education.

Then, before I go to sleep, I always read from a mystery (or other genre-ish) novel. At this moment it's an older Lee Child, from his Jack Reacher series. [read on]
Visit Rachel Toor's website.

Writers Read: Rachel Toor.

--Marshal Zeringue