Friday, July 11, 2008

Literary top 10: Sarah Salway

From Sarah Salway's literary top 10 at Pulp.net:
My favourite opening line of a novel

“It was the afternoon of my eighty-first birthday, and I was in bed with my catamite when Ali announced that the archbishop had come to see me.”
Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess.
(For some reason I thought there was farting involved but on re-reading I can see that would be one step too many.)
Read more about Salway's literary top 10.

Sarah Salway published numerous short stories and won several writing competitions before her first novel, Something Beginning With, was published in 2004 by Bloomsbury in the UK and Ballantine in the US (as The ABCs of Love). It has been translated into several language. Her second novel, Tell Me Everything, was published by Bloomsbury (UK) and Ballantine (US) in 2007.

She has published a collection of short stories, Leading the Dance, and, co-authored with Lynne Rees, the experimental collaboration, Messages (both from bluechrome publishing).

Salway blogs at Sarah's Writing Journal and A Quiet Sit Down.

Also see: Salway's top 10 books about unlikely friendships.

Writers Read: Sarah Salway.

--Marshal Zeringue