
The entry begins:
I would so dearly love to see this as a movie! It would be the kind of movie I'd watch ten times. It is a love story at its most elemental level, an epic story told over several decades about Elsie Turner, the daughter of an British civil servant in Nainital, India, and Elsie's friend Tanveer Singh, the son of a local Maharajah. It begins with the Blitz in London, a subject I never quite get enough of, and flashes back to the friendship, then love story of the two over time, and follows the pair as they fight for their ideals, not always in harmony, and for the lives they each wish to have. Tanveer is devoted to Indian Independence, while Elsie is trying to find her voice as an artist, and as they come together and are torn apart many times, they each have to grapple with the times and their class, and the very real, sustained connection they've found with each other.Visit Barbara O'Neal's website.
Honestly, there are any number of actors who would play Tanveer beautifully. I love Riz Ahmed's soulful face. I also love Himesh Patel, and the wildly talented Dev Patel. Lately, I have been smitten by the Punjabi singer Diljit Dosanjh and...[read on]
My Book, The Movie: A Thousand Painted Hours.
--Marshal Zeringue


