Monday, April 08, 2024

Q&A with Ellen Feldman

From my Q&A with Ellen Feldman, author of The Trouble with You: A Novel:
How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

Of all the novels I’ve published, The Trouble with You was the hardest to title. I auditioned dozens of attempts. They were all too generic and could apply to any story or too specific and therefore incomprehensible. After much solitary agonizing and endless consulting with my patient editor and publisher, we hit on The Trouble with You. That’s the exasperated phrase that would be thrown at the protagonist Fanny, her aunt Rose, and several other characters in the book. I’m delighted to report that many readers have agreed. They’ve told me they could hear the more conventional characters in the book shouting the words at those who...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at Ellen Feldman's website.

The Page 69 Test: Scottsboro.

Q&A with Ellen Feldman.

--Marshal Zeringue