Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Six SFF novels featuring women on the high seas

Adalyn Grace's debut novel is All the Stars and Teeth.

At Tor.com she tagged six sci-fi & fantasy books featuring women on the high seas, including:
The Assassin’s Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke
“There are three ways of bettering yourself in the Pirates’ Confederation, Mama told me once: murder, mutiny, and marriage.”
Ananna wants nothing more than to captain her own ship. So when her parents try to marry her off instead, Ananna flees. What ensues is an adventure about a somewhat arrogant, cunning girl on the run from an assassin who’s been hired to track her down. But of course, things don’t always go as planned, and let’s just say that the assassin and the pirate are forced to work together in what I thought was one of the most delightful ways possible. Which, dare I say, is a trope I will never stop loving.

My favorite thing about Ananna was that she was a bit prickly and precocious, which are traits I adore in female characters. Her thievery and trickery also made for some highly entertaining scenes, and the banter gets a solid A+.
Read about another entry on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue