Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Jillian Medoff's "This Could Hurt," the movie

Featured at My Book, The Movie: This Could Hurt by Jillian Medoff.

The entry begins:
I love movies. To me, there’s nothing more satisfying than sitting in a darkened theater and losing myself in a story. And yet, although all my novels have been optioned by Hollywood at one point or another, I rarely, if ever, consider potential screen adaptations while I’m writing. As a novelist, my goal for each book is to create a unique self-contained universe, one that’s separate from real life, so thinking about current events and celebrities throws me off.

Once I’m finished, however, it’s a whole different story. I love to speculate. My first novel, Hunger Point, was optioned for a feature film and then eventually adapted into an original cable film in 2002 (Hunger Point, starring Barbara Hershey and Christina Hendricks); to see the book acted out by living, breathing human beings was a truly gratifying experience. But again, the movie came long after the book was finished. Plus, I didn’t have any say in the casting, though the director, Joan Micklin Silver, did a great job of pairing up actors with their book counterparts.

Full disclosure: This Could Hurt is...[read on]
Visit Jillian Medoff's website.

My Book, The Movie: This Could Hurt.

--Marshal Zeringue