Monday, February 01, 2010

Coffee with a canine: Erika Rae & Aspen

The current featured duo at Coffee with a Canine: Erika Rae & Aspen, a 9.5 year-old boxer lab mix.

Rae, on her writing:
I edit and write creative non-fiction for TheNervousBreakdown.com and am a member of N.L. Belardes' rogue group of writers, The Irresponsibles. Belardes recently published a wacky book of facts and trivia called Random Obsessions in which he includes a few of the strange things that I've encountered, alongside crazy stories about Mothman and Thomas Jefferson's grandson being an axe murderer. I've written 7 books, including a memoir called In a Handbasket: Confessions of a Recovering Evangelical. As of now, not a single one of my books has been properly published. I keep writing, though. Basically, I am really stubborn. I'm currently working on a YA Series called "Stones."
On Aspen's encounters with large animals near their home in the Rockies:
She has treed a bear and helped her step-sister (a redbone coonhound named Indie) herd elk. Once when she was walking with my husband Scott, they walked into a mountain lion feeding ground. She was busily rolling in a freshly killed elk carcass when Scott looked up to see one lion through the trees ahead of them. Almost immediately, another one flashed through the trees to his left. They got out of there as quickly as they could. There is no telling what else she has encountered while out roaming alone.
Visit Erika Rae's website and read more about In a Handbasket.

Read--Coffee with a Canine: Erika Rae & Aspen.

--Marshal Zeringue